Checklist of gears for trekking in Nepal
Kanchan Shrestha | November 27, 2017
If you are planning for a trekking journey to Nepal then preparing a back pack can be one of your major concerns! If you are trekking for the first time, then you might be unaware about the gears or equipment that you require during the trek. Therefore, Himal Eco Treks is here to assist you to prepare a back pack. For this reason, we have enlisted some of the essential things that you need to carry if you are opting for a trekking journey to Nepal. By all means, there is no hard and fast rule about the list that we have mentioned below. Hence, you may add or remove any of the items using your judgement.
In case you forget some essential gears required during the trek, you may get one in the shops at Kathmandu just a day before you leave the Kathmandu city. Also you do not have to worry about the quality of gears available in Kathmandu. For your information, the gears are mostly manufactured locally while some may be imported from China.
Remember a golden rule during travel – Keep your luggage at light at possible!
If you are trekking to Nepal, then your travel planner must have acknowledged you regarding the maximum weight that a porter will carry during the trek. Usually, a porter is available for two persons who will carry maximum weight of 25 kg only. Ultimately, you can arrange your bag pack accordingly!
Checklist of gears for trekking to Nepal
- Duffel bag/ Rucksack bag
- Day pack
- Down jacket
- Sleeping bag
(Note: Some travel agencies may provide duffel bag, down jackets and sleeping bags during the travel. Thus, it solely depends on the policy of the travel agencies. However, we recommended you to carry these gears on your own! Who knows how the gears provided will be?)
- For head – Scarf, light balaclava or warm fleece hat sunglasses for UV protection
- For feet – Thin light wear inner socks, thick warm wool hiking boots, hiking socks, camp shoes and gaiters for hiking in winter
- For hands – Light weight gloves, thick weight gloves/mittens, waterproof shell gloves
- For lower body – Under garments, hiking shorts, light weight cotton long pants, thermal bottoms for expedition, woollen pants, waterproof shell pants
- For upper body – T-shirts, light thermal tops, fleece jackets or pullovers, Fleece wind cheater jackets, water proof shell jackets
- Sleeping bags rated to be zero degree Fahrenheit
- headlamp with extra batteries and bulbs
- small pad or combination lock to lock
- duffel bags
- walking stick
- first aid kit
- large plastic bags for keeping the items dry inside the duffel bags
- Day pack
- trekking roles
- water bottles
- Ear plug, etc.
- Tooth brush
- multipurpose soap
- nail cutter
- Mirror and other essentials.
- Wet wipes
- tissue rolls
- Maps/ journey guide,
- Books for reading
- Travel games and other things as per your preference that you consider useful.
On the whole, this is just a general list to help you with your backpack! Hope it was helpful! In case of any queries related to travel and travel plans, please let us know! In general, Himal Eco Treks is forever at your service. You will be promptly replied for your queries. These are the list of equipments we suggest to our clients too.